Paul VI junior Antonio Tarantino headed across the Delaware River to Bensalem this past weekend with a 100-meter dash PR of 11.50. That was good for 26th place in the South Jersey Invitational last year.
Now, Tarantino is ranked No. 1 in New Jersey.
Tarantino isn’t a total sprint novice. He did run a fast as 22.06 this past winter for 200 meters, sixth-fastest in the state in the rarely run event, and he got his 55 time down to 6.57, fourth-fastest by a South Jersey runner this past indoor season.
But in his spring opener, Tarantino showed that he can run a pretty good 100 as well.
Tarantino ran 10.71 in the trials and 10.68 in the finals to win the 100 at the Bensalem Invitational. He also ran a PR 51.83 to place second in the 400.
Tarantino’s time appears to be the fastest by a South Jersey non-public sprinter since Holy Cross’s James Townsend ran 10.45 to win the 2003 Meet of Champions in the final race of his life.
Looks like Tarantino is No. 10 in Camden County history but only 5-100ths out of the No. 6 spot.
- 10.35 … Jamar Ervin [Camden], 2000
- 10.36 … Damiere Byrd [Timber Creek], 2011
- 10.47 … Dennis Mitchell [Edgewood], 1983
- 10.53 … Todd Dutch [Washington Twp.], 2001
- 10.58 … Antonio Miles [Winslow Twp.], 2003
- 10.63 … Sable Gonnet [Eastern], 2007
- 10.65 … Dominique Irons [Haddon Heights], 2013
- 10.67 … Kashif Miller [Haddon Heights], 2014
- 10.67 … Antraye Miles [Winslow Twp.], 2003
- 10.68 … Antonio Tarantino [Paul VI], 2017
- 10.69 … Robert Darby [Pennsauken], 2006